The present Glenbervie School is an amalgamation of six other schools from the surrounding districts: Huanui (est. 1893); Kiripaka (est.1895); Bryn Avon (est. 1906); Whareora (est. 1914); Kaiatea (est.1929); and Pataua (est.1933).
Originally, Glenbervie School was known as Huanui School, which was opened in May 1893 and was situated on Harris Road.
In 1906, in response to an increase in dairy farms and permanent residents, Bryn Avon School was established.
In 1913, Huanui School asked the Education Board for the school to be moved to a more convenient site and that a school be built in the Whareora area.
In 1913, Lady Eleanor Douglas offered 5 acres to the Education Board, on the condition that the school was renamed Glenbervie. This was agreed to and in December 1913, the Board authorised the removal of the school and its name change. The present site is where the school was moved to.
Huanui School was dismantled and carted by horse-drawn wagons during the school holidays to the current Glenbervie School site.
In 1932, Kiripaka School and Kaiatea School consolidated with Glenbervie due to staffing problems and a lack of numbers attending.
In 1945, Byrn Avon School closed and the children attended Whareora School.
In 1953, a new block of two rooms and a staffroom was completed at Glenbervie School.
A swimming pool was built in 1954, following a bequest from the late Mr Ted Hutchinson.
In 1959, a new administration and classroom block was built on the lower level of the school site.
In 1972, both Pataua and Whareora Schools closed and amalgamated with Glenbervie.
In 1993, a Jubilee was held to recognise the length of time that education had been going on in the "Totara School District". This Jubilee recognised education in all seven schools.
In 1993, the school sold off some of the pine trees on the western boundary to fund the building of a hall on the upper level.
In 1996, a new block of four classrooms and a resource room were built to cater for roll growth.
In 2007, the canopy was built over the asphalt.
In 2016, the top block with new classes was built as a result of roll growth.
In 2021, the Learning Support Co-ordinator (LSC) space was completed as part of a new Government initiative. The LSC works to identify and plan for the learning support needs of all children and young people in the school or kura, including those with moderate needs and those who are gifted. They are also able to bring in specialist help to support classroom teachers.